Many people don’t think about their roof until something goes wrong with it, but you shouldn’t wait until the water starts coming down from the ceiling to think about what’s above your head. Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home because it protects you from rain and other exterior elements. That’s why you should never put off any repairs. And if it needs to be replaced, you should pay attention to the warning signs because it could save you thousands of dollars later on.
Signs That Your Need a Roof Replacement
Here are some of the signs that you need a roof replacement:
- It’s too old — Most roofs have a 20-year warranty. So if it hasn’t been replaced in at least that time, you most likely need a roof replacement.
- It looks bad from the outside — A run-down roof can mean more than just bad curb appeal. If you look at it from the street and notice large areas that appear to be in disrepair, a great deal of “streaking” on your shingles, or areas around your chimney and vents that look worn, it could be a sign of a roof that needs to be replaced.
- The shingles are in bad shape — Take a close look at your shingles. And if any of them look wet, stained, curled, bent, broken, darker than they should be, or missing completely, you should consider replacing them completely.
- Paint that’s staining, peeling, or bubbling — A leak can cause the exterior paint around the roofline to deteriorate, but it can also get into your walls and have the same effect.
- The roof deck is in bad shape — The roof deck provides the support that keeps the roof and shingles from collapsing. So if you notice any sagging or moisture damage on the support beams, you’ll need a roof replacement (including the roof deck).
- Water is leaking into your attic — If you see water leaking into your attic after a period of heavy rain or if you see sunlight seeping into your attic from the roof, there’s a good chance it needs to be replaced.
- It’s sagging — If your roof is sagging or looks droopy, you’ll need to get it replaced before the damage gets worse. You should also check for any signs of trapped moisture or rotting boards — especially at the lowest areas of your roof.
- Moss is growing — Moss can look great in certain spots around your yard, but it can be a problem if it’s growing on your roof. The presence of moss, mold or any other type of fungus is an indication of trapped moisture, which can cause serious damage to your roof. And while you can get rid of it with a stiff brush, you’ll need to take care of the underlying problem.
- Leaks around your chimney — Both your roof and your chimney should have enough flashing to keep water from seeping through. So if you see areas around your chimney that are leaking water, it could be a sign you need a roof replacement.
Loose granules are spread around the area — When shingles start to deteriorate, they break up into smaller pieces that look like dark, coarse sand. So if you start to see these “granules” in your gutters, on your yard, or around your landscaping, you can bet they’re coming from your roof.
Increasingly high energy bills — If your energy bills are unusually high, it could be caused by improper ventilation around your home (especially in your roof and attic). If you notice this in combination with any of these other warning signs, it could be a sign that your roof isn’t performing as well as it should and could mean that you need a roof replacement.
Replacing a roof can be expensive, but you should consider its investment toward the long-term vitality of your home. That’s why you want to make sure it’s done right. Find an experienced contractor that will go through the right roof replacement process and will be honest about the cost, but doesn’t wait too long to replace your roof. Otherwise, you’ll end up paying for related damages later on.
If you’re looking for one of the best roofers in Corpus Christi, get in touch with Bayfront Roofing and Construction. We’re one of the best choices for roof replacement and repair in the Coastal Bend, and we would be happy to speak with you about the options we have for your next roof replacement.