There’s an old saying — that “the best offense is a good defense.” But, this adage is not only true for sports. It can also apply to the continued life and functionality of your roof. The more you do to protect it, the longer it will last. The weather in South Texas can be unpredictable. Strong winds and heavy storms are not uncommon, and both can have a devastating effect on your roof. With this kind of unpredictability, the best thing you can do is to be prepared for what might come later on. You’ll never be completely prepared for an event of this magnitude. If you take certain steps, you’ll be in a better position to protect your roof from serious damage.
There’s an old saying — that “the best offense is a good defense.” But, this adage is not only true for sports. It can also apply to the continued life and functionality of your roof.
What You Can Do to Prepare for a Storm
If you know when a storm will come, there are some things you can do to get ready for what’s to come:
- Prepare for the worst — If you know that a storm is on its way, you should always plan for the worst possible outcome. The weather can change in an instant. What might look like a minor or moderate-looking storm could quickly turn into something more severe, and you’ll never regret the decision to take certain precautions (even if the storm turns out to not be as severe).
- Have a maintenance plan — Most storms don’t cause damage on their own. In many cases, it’s due to age and neglect. If your drains are clogged or if your flashing has openings due to wear and tear, you’re more likely to get water damage after a storm hits. The same is true if it’s left in a vulnerable state when the next storm hits.
Check the perimeter and equipment flashing — The flashing protects areas where the roof membrane meets certain angle changes or penetrations in the roof assembly, and they can fail sooner than other types of roofing details (which can make it more susceptible to water damage). You want to check your roof flashing on a regular basis, and you should make sure you fix any problems as soon as possible.
- Check the gutters, downspouts, and drains — You should invest in a good gutter, downspout, and drainage system to keep water from sitting on your roof, but you should also clear away any debris that can build up over time because it can clog the path of water that’s flowing on your roof. Before a storm hits, you should make sure your gutter system is working properly so water can flow away from your roof.
Be sure to speak to a professional for more information about regular roof inspections and how they can prepare you for when a storm hits.
Why Regualr Roof Inspections are Important
Regular roof inspections should be a part of your maintenance plan. Having a roofing contractor to run this check will make sure it’s in good condition. If you believe there’s any damage after you have had a bout of bad weather, you should have it inspected again. Regular roof inspections will keep it from getting severely damaged during a storm, but there are certain things you can do immediately after the bad weather has passed:
- Clean up the surrounding area — Remove any debris from the surrounding area, and clear your gutters. Check them for any holes, leaks, or weak areas that could cause problems later on. Be sure to take care of any problems as soon as possible.
- Inspect your shingles — Look for any shingles that show signs of curling, bucking, or blistering because they could be a sign that you need a roof replacement. A damaged shingle can dislodge or disintegrate, which will allow water to get into your home.
- Check your chimney — The chimney is usually the first place where a roof will show signs of trouble. If the shingles around your chimney are damaged, there’s a good chance the rest will follow. Take a look at the surrounding mortar, and repair any damaged areas before they become more serious.
If you think your roof has been damaged after a storm has hit and you want to have it inspected, be sure to speak to someone at Bayfront Roofing and Construction. We’re one of the best roofing companies in Corpus Christi, and we have a team of experts that can help. If you want more information about how we can help you, get in touch with us today!